20. What lasting impact will Joy material have in setlists?
19.What will Trey’s “show shirt” be this tour?
18. What new covers, if any, will the band incorporate into their shows?
17.”Free” : Do or Die?
16. Which shows will smoke harder – SPAC, Camden, or Atlanta?
15. What songs will emerge as the prominent jam vehicles of the month?
14. Will the band minimize or shelve “Time Turns Elastic” after leaving it off the New Year’s Run?
13. Will Exile have a lasting impact on the band’s setlists and/or style?
12. When will Phish bust out “Liquid Time?”
11. Will meathead Merriweather security guards ever stop pretending to be bouncers at New York night clubs?
10. How will the ticket scene shake out? Scarce? On the ground? In between?
9. Will Tuesdays prove tremendous at Portsmouth, Great Woods, and Canandaigua?
8. Will “Fluffhead” gracefully fade into the background as a symbol of 2009?
6. Will “Show of Life” debut in Chicago?
5. Was “Golden Age” one and done?
4. More open jamming?
3. Will “Mike’s Song” return to prominence or remain an eight-minute, custy anthem?
1. …Can you still have fun?
Jam of the Day:
My pick for jam of ’09, multi-faceted adventure.
SBD UPDATE: Yesterday, YEMBlog followed up their Monday heroics by posting a pre-FM source of part two of Kevin Shapiro’s “From the Archives” show from Bonnaroo, broadcast on 6.14.09. Featured tracks include 10.24.95’s legendary, mind-melting “Antelope” from Madison, Wisconsin, the 20-plus minute “2001” from The Pyramid in ’99, and a sublime “Harry Hood” from Kent State ’94. Here is the complete track listing.
1. Sing Me Back Home (Grateful Dead 8/27/1972)
2. Foreplay > Longtime (11/12/1994 @ Kent State University)
3. Theme From The Bottom (6/7/1995 @ Boise State University)
4. The Ballad of Curtis Loew (12/29/1999 @ Big Cypress)
5. Col. Forbin’s Ascent > Vibration of Life > Fly Famous Mockingbird (5/3/1993 @ State Theatre, New Brunswick, NJ)
6. Dave’s Energy Guide (9/26/1985 for WRUV’s Exposure)
7. 2001 (9/29/1999 @ Pyramid Arena, Memphis, TN)
8. Doomsday (Mike Gordon Demo Circa 1993)
9. Run Like An Antelope (10/24/1995 @ Dane Co. Coliseum, Madison, WI)
10. Harry Hood (11/12/1994 @ Kent State University, Kent, OH)
DOWNLOAD OF THE DAY:
On the home stretch out west in Summer ’92, soundboard style.
I: Buried Alive, Poor Heart, The Landlady, Reba, Rift, Wilson > All Things Reconsidered, Foam, My Friend, My Friend, Bouncing Around the Room, David Bowie
II: Suzy Greenberg, It’s Ice, Tweezer, Esther, Mike’s Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Horn, Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin* > Hold Your Head Up, Take the ‘A’ Train, Cavern
E: The Squirming Coil
Notes: Ninja Custodian opened this show. *Ninja Mike sat in on drums for “Terrapin”